After getting back from a survey trip, we inevitably find that a few days of reflection are needed to be able to process what happened. Somehow we have to get our grips around factual information that we put in a report and send off to the powers that be. But even more than that, we have to process the stories and lives that we experienced through the people we met and the culture that we rubbed shoulder with. I (Liz) have to admit - sometimes it's overwhelming to see so much need and to feel and know that I am such a small fish in the pond. And sometimes I'm threatened with a feeling of inevitability - that no matter how much I throw myself into the work, the amount of change that needs to happen will not happen in my lifetime, or of those whom I'm fighting for.
Jason and I were reflecting over coffee at Panera Bread (our favorite date spot) about what we've seen God doing in our lives on a personal level through the last few months. Nothing really earth shattering came to mind for either of us, but I did realize as we talked that something has subtly shifted in me over the last year or so - perhaps it's life experience and maturity, or maybe it's cynicism and discouragement, or maybe some combination of both that has contributed to it.
While I still want to fight for social change - I've stopped really believing that I can change it and started focusing instead on the truth that I, through being yielded to the changing power of God, can change individuals. That may be too close to draw a line between, because after all it is individuals that make up society. But somehow, it's different. It's more personal. People's stories touch me more deeply because I care about them on a highly personal level instead of only about them as a part of a social theory or systemic philosophy. I'm sure it has to do with life experience - but I think it's a bit of discouragement, too, as we see "just how deep the rabbit hole goes".
Yesterday, Isaiah 42 fairly jumped out of the Word at me - I had to read it over and over again and then thrust the Bible under Jason's nose to read it right then, too, because it contains so much hope. Hope that I want to and have to cling to right now. Hope that is worth fighting for - living for - dying for. Perhaps it can encourage you, too. The LORD is a champion and He will defeat injustice.
Isaiah 42:1-13
(Prophesying about Jesus) "Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations. He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets. A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his teaching the islands will put their hope."
This is what God the LORD says - he who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth with all that springs from it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it: "I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open the eyes that are blind, to free the captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols. See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I annouce them to you."
Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise from the ends of the earth, you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it, you islands, and all who live in them. Let the wilderness and its towns raise their voices; let the settlements where Kedar lives rejoice. Let the people of Sela sing for joy; let them shout from the mountaintops. Let them give glory to the LORD and proclaim his praise in the islands. The LORD will march out like a champion, like a warrior he will stir up his zeal; with a shout he will raise the battle cry and will triumph over his enemies.
1 comment:
...A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his teaching the islands will put their hope."
AMEN!
I love that chapter, it been a while since I have read it. Thanks for bringing it back to my mind again.
Post a Comment