This journal's purpose is to be a space where we share our own thoughts, opinions and experiences with those interested in our story.
It is not meant in any way to serve as a representation of any group with which we work or are affiliated.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

The L3 Portal

We've had the very encouraging experience to go through a week of what they call the L3 portal here in Panama City. Basically, it is leadership training for people that have been identified as leaders or potential leaders in our organization. Some of the highlights for me have been:

- Connecting with other members who have worked with our organization for decades, hearing their stories of success, failure, and struggles. Being reminded of how we are part of a much bigger picture throughout the last century and a integral part of a very huge job the organization is doing now.

- Thinking through how we fit into God's larger plan and thinking through practical ways to express and develop leadership qualities in our lives and work. Considering with others who share a similar corporate culture how that specifically looks in our organization.

- Hanging out and discussing survey needs, strategies, trends, etc. with John, a fellow surveyor who is assigned in South Asia. Other than sharing lots of laughs and fun (and last-minute breakfasts) we also enjoyed taking advantage of his hard work in scouting out good restaurants for meal times :). But on a more serious note, we learned a lot from his 11 years of working in survey and learned more about what is going on in his area of the world. We also had our own experiences to share as he moves more into a leadership role in his area. We're a bit odd, having done fieldwork in 10 countries after 3 years (that's a lot) and being moved into a leadership role after 1.5 years. It was great to process with him, to have iron sharpen iron, and develop that relationship for the future. It's always so great to hang out with other surveyors (since we're such a unique breed :) )!

- Multiple conversations with the area director over meals, on the bus, etc. really helped us understand funding processes, organizational relationships, sign language work in greater context of the organization, future plans, etc. It's great to have these relationships and build trust as his decisions so clearly impact us. We really do respect Jim a lot and that has only grown this week - we can follow leaders because they are established by God, but it is so much easier to follow when you know that AND trust them.

- A large part of the meeting was essentially career counseling - taking the Meyer-Briggs, the Strengths Finder, and having a 360 evaluation before arriving - and then talking through what these things showed in 1:1 coaching sessions. I had a fantastic coach. It was really a great time for me - to process experiences over the last year, to recognize what really energizes and what utterly depletes my energy in my work and lifestyle, to think through non-negotiables if I'm to avoid (somewhat imminent) burnout, and to develop a personal and professional development plan to maximize future service using my personality, natural strengths, and spiritual gifts. I feel well-directed for the next year and appreciated having a week to focus on these particular issues.

- One thing I've recognized is that I don't need to be ashamed (even when others criticize me) of being an achiever and always thinking about what can be done in the future (achiever is my #1 strength and futuristic is #3). Since that's how God made me, it doesn't need to be viewed negatively (!) simply because others aren't like that. For me (and I know this isn't true for all), the Meyer-Briggs and the StrengthsFinder really did accurately identify my tendencies...it was so helpful to see how they fit together! My personality type is called a "Values Crusader" and I can see that in how I function and organize my life's work.

- Another more practical implication I've thought through is that I need to invest more time finding and encouraging deep relationships at home (relator is my #4 strength). I've felt so disconnected these last 3 years and that's really taking a toll. I've also had time to think through more long-term career choices and Jason and I have had tiem to pray and process where God may be guiding us in upcoming years. That's all I'm going to say about that right now...but it has been good to be in a supportive environment that carved out TIME (something we're always short on) to process these things in a systematic and strategic way.

I know Jason has his own thoughts and experiences but since I'm the one blogging you get to hear all about me. Ha. If you want to hear about him you'll have to ask him...:) Now it's off to lunch - going to go find an ice-cold fruit smoothie!

2 comments:

mom dad parks said...

life is much more enjoyable and fulfilling when we understand and use our abilities in our every day lives. Very thankful that you guys had an opportunity to go through this with other people who understand.

I'm thinking you will achieve and Jason will document it. :)

OK,Jason your turn on the keyboard.

No need for ice-cold smoothie here, we have snow on the ground.

LOTS of LOVE and PRAYER flowing your way LOVE Dad

Keith said...

Congratualtions on an amazing 3 years!

I'm excited that you two got this time to process the things in your heart aloud with others. Getting feedback and support is so important. And moments where you find your heart connecting with the "higher ups" who are leading the way and guiding future plan sounds like a blessing indeed.

May His grace continue to surround and sustain you continue to wrestle with issues that feel imminent and overwhelming.