This journal's purpose is to be a space where we share our own thoughts, opinions and experiences with those interested in our story.
It is not meant in any way to serve as a representation of any group with which we work or are affiliated.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Rome to Florence

I can't help but gasp in awe as we step into basilica after basilica, gallery after museum, walk down street after cobblestone street. I also gasp at the chilly wind - this is quite the cold snap that has descended on northern Italy (and most of Europe from what I hear)! Here are a few favorites from the beginnings of our trip, in Rome and Florence!

Trevi Fountain: I hadn't read the guidebooks about this fountain yet so I, like millions in the past, was utterly surprised by the enormity of this fountain tucked away in a little square of old Rome!
Roma's Colosseum and Constantine's Arch in the snow!

Michelangelo's "Moses" in St. Peter in Chain's: For just 50 cents you could turn the lights on to take pictures of this famous statue (thankfully a few other people bit the bullet and we got it for free!).

My favorite church yet: St. Paul's Basilica! Clean, bright, sun drenching through the windows, beautiful columns, and (could it be true?) Paul's remains minus his head under the alter.
St. Paul's Half Dome.

Ponte Vecchio, Florence. Very cool bridge to walk or bike across; if you're into gold - there's some of that too.



Scenic View of Florence from Chiesa di San Miniato al Monte (a beautiful old church overlooking the city).
The Duomo (Catedral de Santa Maria del Fiore) in Florence on a brilliantly sunny day!

Catedral de Santa Maria del Fiore's Dome: Gorgeous.
Tomorrow we are looking forward to seeing Michelangelo's David! We're bringing our binoculars.

3 comments:

marginalia84 said...

I am WILDLY jealous! And totally thrilled for you! Enjoy every minute!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pics! & memories. Stay warm & safe. Praying.

dad mom parks said...

THANK YOU for the beautiful pictures!! We're warm while looking at them, too :)