My Grandma Lila passed on to heaven this week and this morning the majority of my immediate family is gathered for her funeral in western Nebraska. I'm missing being with them - but know that God has us all in the palm of a huge hand...and trusting that God's with me here as well as with my family there. Still, it's hard not to be there in these hours...my grandma was an amazing woman - balancing family life and running a business, displaying sensitivity, compassion, independence, and business savvy...in many ways I aspire to be like her and will miss her until we meet again. She was the last of my four grandparents to go - but I have no reason to believe that I won't see them all again soon - what an amazing gift and legacy!
Things are going well here in Punta Arenas - we had our first deaf meeting last night where we joined 3 older deaf couples for an Independence Day meal. From the 6 of them, we got 3 questionnaires and 2 RTTs done, and have a great time sharing life with them and listening to their stories. As we've seen throughout our travels in southern Chile, we have been welcomed by fantastic hosts. In about an hour we have another meeting with 4-5 deaf people. We will be sharing more sociolinguistic information about signed languages and about our work in survey as well as gathering additional survey data. Rodrigo, our primary contact here has been an amazing chef, chauffer, and guide...many blessings on him!
No comments:
Post a Comment